Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yellow Card - Red Card

• 23-11-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Red Card - i3m0HMcl1BiEM.gif

Yellow Card - Foul.gif

Refereeing has hit a new low.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Why would anyone want to be a ref

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

thats a f*cking assault on Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

phil dowd bottled it big time today he is useless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

If Suarez made that tackle the media would want his head on a platter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Terrible tackle by Mirallas, should have been red. As Suarez's should have been last year when he put Mirallas out for 4 months.

Was that actual tackle shown a straight red for Brown??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't think it has hit an all time low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Corholio wrote: »
    Terrible tackle by Mirallas, should have been red. As Suarez's should have been last year when he put Mirallas out for 4 months.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Darkest Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Actually slightly OT, but why do referee's seem to let a lot more go in local derbies?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

roanoke wrote: »
    Actually slightly OT, but why do referee's seem to let a lot more go in local derbies?

Is that not just a cliché really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Revolting challenge on Suarez. Mirallas deserves a lengthy ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

roanoke wrote: »

Merseyside derby has more red cards then any other game in Premiership history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Referees being inconsistent? Never.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Revolting challenge on Suarez. Mirallas deserves a lengthy ban.

Would not be surprised to see it left as a yellow. Definite red of course, but it would not surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Second darkest day in football if ever I saw

Tis awful sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Dowd just guessed. He was looking at the ball and didn't see the tackle on Suarez.

****ed if I know what Brown got sent off for though. Mad as a box of frogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

FearDark wrote: »

Brought on by his own behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I fail to see how the Brown incident is even a foul. He just kicks through the ball and not even close to being over the top of the ball. Its down low. His trailing leg is then lifted but that is after the player is already past him so irrelevent. My guess is that the ref sees the trailing leg studs up but isn't aware how late it is before Brown raises the trailing leg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

KH25 wrote: »
    Would not be surprised to see it left as a yellow. Definite red of course, but it would not surprise me.

You wouldn't be surprised? Refereeing decisions aren't amended retrospectively, so there's literally 0% chance of Mirallas getting a ban.

You wouldn't be surprised? Refereeing decisions aren't amended retrospectively, so there's literally 0% chance of Mirallas getting a ban.

I thought the new FA panel might be able to do something about it but it would seem they can only act retrospectively on acts that went unpunished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

They can't do anything about it after as the ref "dealt with it" at the time with a yellow.

If he gave no foul, for example, Mirallas could have (and probably would have) gotten a retrospective 3 game ban

They can't do anything about it after as the ref "dealt with it" at the time with a yellow.

If he gave no foul, for example, Mirallas could have (and probably would have) gotten a retrospective 3 game ban

I'm aware of that. As I said above I mistakenly thought the new panel could review the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I'm aware of that. As I said above I mistakenly thought the new panel could review the decision.

Didn't see the second page! :P

Silly rule really but I can understand why it's there. Should've been a red at the time regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Darkest Day

It was actually for this very match last year that that thread was created and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm outraged;)

Stupid rules will always prevail in football,get booked for a bad challenge,get booked for celebrating with your own fans or most disgraceful of all -getting carried away and removing your shirt.Which is the worst offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A perfect challenge by Wes Brown.

One worst sendings off I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Brought on by his own behaviour.

Damn straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The problem with this one is Kevin Friend. A horrendous referee who has done so wrong over the last few years that he should never referee another professional game again. Unfortunately, some other poor fuckers will be undeservedly stuck with him. I seen to remember him sending the wrong player off in a game we played against Portsmouth a few years back and he also deemed the below to be a penalty. He's just not cut out for refereeing.

BZyD4LyCQAAefP6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FearDark wrote: »

Suarez has got away with them sorta tackles on multiple occasions before, so not sure why your using this angle.

• Advertisement

Suarez has got away with them sorta tackles on multiple occasions before, so not sure why your using this angle.

Suarez is probably a bad example because of the things he has done on the pitch but it is a fair point. If the challenge had been the other way around there would have been a public outcry in the media that he be punished severely. Its the same with any high-profile player with a rep really. This challenge won't get as dragged out by the media because its just Mirallas.

Suarez is probably a bad example because of the things he has done on the pitch but it is a fair point. If the challenge had been the other way around there would have been a public outcry in the media that he be punished severely. Its the same with any high-profile player with a rep really. This challenge won't get as dragged out by the media because its just Mirallas.

As an everton fan, It was a shocking tackle and a definite sending off. No doubt about that.

But the reason it won't be dragged out by the media or other viewed sympathetically by other football fans is because of the player on the wrong end of the tackle. A world class player no doubt but one with a very, very checkered past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You could throw up 2 incidents every single weekend and ask the same questions. Hardly a need for a thread is there?

Wes Brown one is something you dont see every week tbf.

Wes Brown one is something you dont see every week tbf.
    It was a really bad call. Just an extreme example but really bad calls are happening every week.

It was a really bad call. Just an extreme example but really bad calls are happening every week.

True. Stoke penalty against Swansea few weeks ago was another.

I just think even though bad decisions happen quite a lot the Wes Brown one is new low.

• Advertisement

You would wonder how there is so much inconsistency on such a regular basis considering its a full time job now.

Last time it was the dodgy Chelsea penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Kevin Friend should never be allowed to referee again. That was one of the worst sending off decisions I have ever seen. It wasn't even a foul FFS

lertsnim wrote: »
    Kevin Friend should never be allowed to referee again. That was one of the worst sending off decisions I have ever seen. It wasn't even a foul FFS

He was appalling in the Everton spurs game a few weeks back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gavlor wrote: »
    He was appalling in the Everton spurs game a few weeks back

And also reported by Paul Lambert for his performance in Chelsea V Aston Villa. They can't all be wrong.

I think it's funny people saying if it was Suarez who tackled it would be all over the media, yet it's on pretty much all the back pages tomorrow.

But Friend is absolute disaster, missed Benteke being assaulted by Ivanovic and Terry playing volleyball all in the same match earlier this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

lertsnim wrote: »

Am I the only one who thought it was a yellow card?

I don't think it was a red card offence, if he had made contact, yes, but as it stands he did make a lunge at the player. AFAIK, the rules have been changed so that it no longer matters if you got the ball first, if you go through the player, it can still be a card.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought it was a yellow card?

I don't think it was a red card offence, if he had made contact, yes, but as it stands he did make a lunge at the player. AFAIK, the rules have been changed so that it no longer matters if you got the ball first, if you go through the player, it can still be a card.

But he didn't?

He didn't really lunge either. Sometimes I think the game will go so bad as that you can't make a forward movement towards the ball because it'll be interpreted in some aggressive way. It'll be like a real life version of Subbuteo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

But he didn't?

He didn't really lunge either. Sometimes I think the game will go so bad as that you can't make a forward movement towards the ball because it'll be interpreted in some aggressive way. It'll be like a real life version of Subbuteo.

In fairness, I think the other player jumped out of the way and the referee thought there was an intent to "let the player know they were there" or to injure. If the player hadn't jumped out of the way, there would have been contact and it would have been more clear cut.

I am all for strong, fair sliding tackles. But between refs clamping down on any contact,general poor tackles and of course diving/ "going down easy", I think it is becoming a lost art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

You could throw up 2 incidents every single weekend and ask the same questions. Hardly a need for a thread is there?

Yet you are reading it and posting in it.

Milkers wrote: »
    Yet you are reading it and posting in it.
    Asked a simple question, made a simple point. It's a reactionary thread IMO. Maybe it could continue on as somewhere people can vent their frustration at refereeing.
    If we were all to start a thread every time we were pissed off by a decision...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Yes you can throw up controversial incidents every week but I think you are missing the point.

I certainly can't remember an afternoon of football were two incidents occur which show both ends of the spectrum when it comes to how poor PL refs are in general.

Brown's was never a red and even a tough yellow.
    But that tackle on Suarez was an outrageous one and unfortunately his past incidents went against him, but feck me if Suarez had made that tackle, got a deserved red, then the internet would be on fire for a few days and the FA sitting on Monday afternoon discussing how long a ban to be imposed.

that's how bad it was.

I never knew Mirallas was that bad/nasty.
    He also performed this wrestling move after that nasty tackle and again went unpunished.
    SuarezMirallas2.giffear Suarez might have the last say at Anfiled 28th Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

If the challenge had been the other way around there would have been a public outcry in the media that he be punished severely.

and rightly so, because this is something that Suarez would have form for and somebody that keeps repeating things like diving, cheating, poor tackles etc etc will always, eventuality get more coverage.

as you said though, Suarez is a bad example, but so is Miralles. he never would be known for this kinda stuff and for now, its a once off.

doesnt take away from the fact that it should have been a red though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The fact Mirallas was out for 4 months you say is irrelevant. It was a bad tackle but nowhere near as bad as yesterdays

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Yes you can throw up controversial incidents every week but I think you are missing the point.

I certainly can't remember an afternoon of football were two incidents occur which show both ends of the spectrum when it comes to how poor PL refs are in general.

Brown's was never a red and even a tough yellow.
    But that tackle on Suarez was an outrageous one and unfortunately his past incidents went against him, but feck me if Suarez had made that tackle, got a deserved red, then the internet would be on fire for a few days and the FA sitting on Monday afternoon discussing how long a ban to be imposed.

that's how bad it was.

I never knew Mirallas was that bad/nasty.
    He also performed this wrestling move after that nasty tackle and again went unpunished.
    [IMG][/img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hipchat.com/47464/327654/m5SrRC7twsVaOuJ/SuarezMirallas2.giffear Suarez might have the last say at Anfiled 28th Jan

Ah here, this is becoming a joke. What was mirallas supposed to do there? Stand still as leave Suarez break his leg? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Gavlor wrote: »
    Ah here, this is becoming a joke. What was mirallas supposed to do there? Stand still as leave Suarez break his leg? FFS

No he didn't have to stand there and take the tackle. He also didn't need to throw his leg almost like a stamping motion towards his head

• Advertisement
Advertisement